Mt Woodroffe Climb
Length of Tour: 3 Day Mt Woodroffe Climb 2018
Tour Dates: Friday 11th to Sunday 13th May 2018
Departure Month: May 2018
Community: Mt Woodroffe
Cost: $990.00 per person
Pickup Point: Uluru or Curtain Springs
- Permits to enter Aboriginal Land
- Meals on tour
- Swags (BYO Sleeping Bag & hand held UHF radio)
- Climbing South Australia’s highest peak
- Learning the cultural significance of Mt Woodroffe to the Traditional Owners
Ayers Rock to Mt Woodroffe: Pick up from your Hotel (approx 8.30am), and travel South on red dirt roads following the common border of the Northern Territory / South Australian & the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Homelands. Turning Southwest into the homelands, we drive along a scenic route through the beautiful Musgrave Ranges to our camp site at Ngarutjara situated at the foot of Ngintaka Pilpirpa (Mt Woodroffe), the highest mountain in South Australia. Meet our hosts, the traditional custodians of Mt Woodroffe, make camp and settle down to a campfire dinner under the stars while we listen to the elders tell us the creation / law story of Wati Ngintaka, the Giant Perentie Lizard man, armed with this new knowledge you are granted permission for tomorrow?s ascent of Ngintaka Pilpilpa. Listen also as the Elders explain traditional lifestyle and the history of the region, oral history and story telling is a tradition passed down for thousands of years.
Mt Woodroffe: After an early morning campfire breakfast, prepare to climb Mt Woodroffe. The climb is a 5 hour return hike of difficult grade. We return to camp in the late afternoon.
Mt Woodroffe to Yulara Break camp and return to Yulara late afternoon (approx. 3.00pm).
IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
- The climb is not guided. You will have to sign a waiver form prior to the climb that is binding.
- The climb is difficult in nature as it is not on a marked trail. You do not need climbing equipment to do the climb but you must be fit and agile.
- You must arrive at Uluru the day prior to departure (on Thursday) and plan to leave Uluru the day after the trip returns (Monday)
- Travel Insurance highly recommended